Why I love photographing weddings at Eltham Palace
- Because I love Art Deco, and this is THE venue for Art Deco lovers
- Stunning wood-panelled entrance hall
- Domed glass ceiling which floods the room with beautiful light
- Two staircases for you (and your partner) to make an entrance into the ceremony
- Circular seating meaning every guest has a great view of the ceremony
This English Heritage venue is on my list mainly because of it’s stunning Art Deco entrance hall. Step inside this circular, wood-panelled room and you feel as if you’ve stepped into an episode of Poirot. It’s also been likened to being on a 1930s ocean liner. Considered to be one of the finest examples of Art Deco architecture and design surviving in Britain today. Eltham Palace is a truly remarkable building and a very unique wedding venue.
It’s been used as a filming location numerous times, for big-hitters such as The Crown, Miss Marple, Poirot, Brideshead Revisited, Stan & Ollie, even Guy Ritchie’s Revolver. In stark architectural contrast to this original 1930’s room, the Great Hall (where the wedding breakfast is held) dates back to the 1470s when it was built for Edward IV. Henry VIII spent much of his childhood here. The Art Deco mansion was built in 1936 by owners Virginia & Stephen Courthauld to adjoin the Great Hall of medieval Eltham Palace.
An Art Deco/medieval mashup that shouldn’t work but it does. The Great Gatsby meets Henry VIII. The ultimate wedding venue for lovers of Art Deco architecture and 1930s glamour.
You can have the ceremony and the reception here, or just the ceremony. Maybe the Art Deco architecture is your thing, but the medieval Great Hall is just a little too formal. In that case, have the ceremony here, a drinks reception – either indoors and outdoors – then take buses to your chosen reception venue. Eltham Palace may be a venue that you’ve not considered if you’re looking for somewhere cool, quirky, or industrial, but don’t rule it out. It certainly has the WOW factor.
Some useful information for weddings at Eltham Palace
- Cost to hire – POA
- Capacity for ceremony – 100 in the Entrance hall / 200 in the Great Hall
- Capacity for reception – 200 in the Great Hall
- Two amazing staircases to make your entrance on
- Circular seating for the ceremony
- Beautiful gardens for a drinks reception
- Onsite parking
Contact details, address, and how to get to Eltham Palace
If you’re planning a wedding at Eltham Palace, I’d love to hear from you.